E-mail us | Current banner art: Matt Westervelt

~
We've grown! Check out the new CHS Capitol Hill Seattle -- www.capitolhillseattle.com

Friday, January 4, 2008

Kurrent Ice Bar = kold.

I hadn't realized the space formerly occupied by the Green Papaya (underneath the Press apartment building on the corner of Belmont and Pine) was filled by a new tenant. Kurrent opened way back in August... I'm behind the times, but I haven't been missing much in my opinion. (Sidenote: I also hadn't realized until last night that the Seahawks were in the playoffs.)

I made my way to Kurrent in the pouring rain last night, only to find a super cold, uninviting interior all the way down to the strip of ice down the bar and on the taps. Okay, okay, it's an "ice bar". "Kurrent"="modern", I get it. But the decor was a turn off. There has to be a way to do it in a more comfortable, inviting way. It felt sterile and boring.

We camped out on the high chairs and tables, both of which were wobbly. The seats near the fire looked more fulfilling, but were unfortunately already taken. I did peak my head in the back room as well, but found it stark and didn't want to get lost in its desolation. (We were the only customers in addition to those near the fireplace.)

I ordered a lemon drop... $7 on happy hour. It came in a tall, silver metal martini glass with about 2.5oz of liquid in it. It was tasty, but most of was spilled by the tipsy table before I had a chance to drink it.

I was prepared to try their food, but couldn't figure out how I was going to balance it with my drink and the table and my chair all moving in different directions. So I passed, and went to Mama's for a slice instead.