E-mail us | Current banner art: Matt Westervelt

~
We've grown! Check out the new CHS Capitol Hill Seattle -- www.capitolhillseattle.com

Monday, April 21, 2008

Resurrected CHCC to hold Candidate Forum this Thursday!

While having some not-so-good pizza at Bill's on Sunday, I noticed this headline in the Seattle Gay Newspaper: "Capitol Hill rejects Sound Transit's warplane décor". I was intrigued because (a) the warplane decor is an issue I've just recently become aware of (which I'll address in another post) and (b) I didn't realize Capitol Hill had a functioning representative organization.

It turns out the organization the SGN was referencing was the 43rd District Democrats, who passed a resolution against the proposed warplane art. I like the intent of the resolution. However, I'm concerned with the fact that the article implies that the 43rd District Democrats (a district that covers Capitol Hill, Fremont, Madison Park and Wallingford) are representative of our community.

That said, there hasn't been an organization that is better suited for the representative role... dot dot dot... until a few months ago, when a blogger decided to resurrect the Capitol Hill Community Council.

Ta da!

The CHCC has actually existed for a number of years, but went defunct a few years ago after their efforts to limit the height of new buildings on Broadway were not successful.

As it turns out, a new group of leaders are emerging within the organization. They are holding elections for President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer roles in the next few months. There is a candidate forum on Thursday at the Capitol Hill Arts Center.

I think the CHCC is reconvening at a very important time for our community. And I'm looking forward to participating and supporting their efforts this year. I hope you will too!

CHCC Candidates Forum
Thursday, April 24th
6:30pm
Capitol Hill Arts Center (12th and Pike)
Details: http://chcc.wikidot.com